As I was perusing The Greatest Black Women In Superhero Comics (Who Aren’t Storm), I happened upon a photo and extremely brief synopsis of Idie (Oya)!
Someone can take my Nerd card, I JUST Discovered Idie (Oya), a deeply religious Nigerian #Marvel mutant with natural hair! To think… I considered myself somewhat a connoisseur of comics!
I could cry and write fan fiction about her everyday!
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 trailer was released today and it exceeded my many expectations. The film choices that delineated from the original novel were spot on! I imagined District 13 to be a little more plastic and fake like a utilitarian version of m the Capitol, but they went for a concrete the great thing did with this book was to try to capture the war, the narrative of battle, the narrative of loss, and you understand it more clearly in the films! I’m really excited for the third and fourth films in this franchise; the caliber of directors, actors, and overall production is so impressive and exceeds almost every other young adult novel to film adaptation! This trailer gave me life, I am so excited for this film!
Something interesting delineation from the book and insights from the trailer:
1. Katniss having a direct conversation with Snow: In the novels Katniss and President Snow only communicate through the propaganda commercials.
2. Effie Trinket in District 13: Effie Trinket was missing for almost all of the third novel, then shows up at the very end with some sentence indicating she was Snow’s prisoner. Effie became more alive in the films so I am excited t see what having her in district 13 will bring!
3. The Mockingjay outfit: They actually made the outfit more like a useful battle garment, which is not what I imagined Cinna.
4. The relationship between Finnick and Katniss: My favorite parts of the book were when this kind of Playboy Finnick became a real person and a real confidant for Katniss so much so that even our precious Gale is jealous of him.
5. Gale and Katniss: Something that really stuck to me while watching this trailer is the fact of Gale and Katniss have this very intense and intertwined history and present together: they survive starvation as children, Gail takes on the task of caring for her family in the event she didn’t return from the arena, and they are comrades in war! To think about where this relationship leads and that they may spend their adulthood strangers saddens me.
Please excuse my absence! Over a week ago after returning from a very spiritual and emotional “walk through the dessert” with some very amazing female leaders, I was thrown from my board after going down hill on a steep trail behind our home. I sustained a plethora of ugly injuries and had surgery yesterday on my elbow!
My two guys in a no holds barred home wrestling match!
Lauren Bacall dared to climb out of the glass case of my imagaination, gracefully age, and die. How dare she die, HOW DARE SHE! If you don’t know who LB was, you like your films disgustingly modern.
Find out who she was, watch How to Marry a Millionaire five times, and then we can be fictitious interweb friends!
Soak in her classic perfection!
Mother of two toddlers
Wife to one husband
Woman who puts in WERK! (Not Work, think Beyonce in heels dancing for your fanatic following, yes WERK!)
I define myself digitally as Woman-Wife-Worker, but not always in that order.
Today… WORKER came first! This lovely Friday I spent over 13 hours in the office prepping a presentation for top executives in the midst of other projects.
These days are indeed hard, but it was necessary to avoid bringing work home and Monday morning anxiety!
I did however allow myself a 30-minute lunch meeting for my corporate Film & Book Club and an EPIC 7 PM #BLERD/#HotVillains Twitter chat! Because neither I nor Jane Eyre are automatons.